Thursday, March 1, 2012

being brave

Authors Note: my friend told me to reed this book, and it was good so i decided to write the essay on it.


                The novel The Big Field by Mike Lupica is a great story that takes you through the life of a kid who just wants to play ball. Over the course of this baseball story, he notices there is more to life than baseball and needs to know if baseball doesn’t work out, he should always have a back-up plan.
                This book really made me think of my life. I want to play a professional sport but I know if I can’t get my goal, I need to have something in mind to do for a living and expect failure. About 99% of athletes as kids don’t make it pro. Anybody can do anything they imagine if they put their mind to it, no doubt. If everyone could achieve their dreams without working, there would be too many professional sports players in the world. That’s why you have to be elite to play a professional sport.
                When Hutch’s life gets tough, he has to be really strong.  Maybe people feel bad for him because his mom already died, and his dad is in the hospital. He is really brave and strong while living with his harsh uncle. If he wants to exceed in his baseball career, he needs to move back in with his dad, and he knows it. Every practice goes by, Hutch not showing for any of them. Hutch needs to be brave and strong though because in the end, his dad is going to be okay.
                Around 9/10 of kids don’t want to play shortstop because the balls are hit the hardest at them. Not Hutch though he likes it. Those same kids are the ones who don’t want to be the one in a clutch situation making the play because if they screw up, it could very well cost his team the game that is why they don’t play shortstop. Hutch is somewhat like me. I always want to be in a key situation to make the big play. I don’t worry about screwing up because if I do, I know I’ll be able to calm down  afterwards.
                In life, you always need a back-up plan. If you don’t have one your life takes a drop like a roller coaster at Six Flags. I hope that never happens to me, because I don’t  know what I would do without a back-up plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment